Electronic Data Capture (EDC) software is an important tool to manage data from clinical trials and streamlines the process of collecting, organizing, and storing data from multiple sources. The right EDC software can help ensure the accuracy and reliability of your clinical trial data. With so many different EDC systems on the market, it can be difficult to know which system is right for your specific needs. We will discuss some of the key factors that go into choosing the best EDC software for your clinical trial.
What is Electronic Data Capture?
Before discussing how to choose the best EDC software for your company’s needs, it’s important to understand what EDC is and how it works. Electronic Data Capture (EDC) is a method of collecting data electronically during a clinical study or research project. It enables researchers to collect data in real-time using electronic forms, thus improving accuracy and reducing time spent on manual data entry tasks. The purpose of these systems is to make it easier to collect, review, analyze, and report data in a consistent manner throughout the trial process.
What to Consider When Choosing an Electronic Data Capture Software?
The first step in finding the best EDC software is to evaluate each stakeholder’s unique needs. This includes the clinical trial team, data management team, statisticians and other stakeholders within your organization. Each of these teams has its own set of goals and objectives when it comes to data collection, management and analysis. Knowing what your needs and requirements are will ensure that you find a solution that works best for your business’s needs now and into the future. The next consideration in the need evaluation is of the study type. What type of study will the EDC be used for? There are some features that may not be required for a simple study but for more complex projects, optional add-ons may be beneficial. In addition, it’s important to know how much budget is available for the purchase. When choosing an EDC vendor, make sure to weigh price vs. value and select one that gives you a comprehensive solution tailored just for your needs. It’s important to pick an established vendor with a track record of consistent performance and reliability.
Key factors of an EDC system to evaluate:
Choosing the right Electronic Data Capture (EDC) software requires careful consideration of several key factors including security measures, usability design principles, hosting location, features, cost model, and scalability options.
- Security: Make sure that the system meets your organization’s security requirements and complies with industry standards such as HIPAA or GDPR. Security features like multi-factor authentication and encryption should be included in the EDC solution. Role-based access control will also increase data security. The software can manage user permissions and grant access only to authorized users.
- Usability: User-friendly interface and intuitive navigation are essential when it comes to selecting an EDC system. Look for a system that has been designed with ease-of-use in mind—one that works on a wide range of web browsers and allows users to quickly access information without having to navigate cumbersome menus.
- Data Hosting: The EDC should have an option for where to host the data, whether in the cloud or on-premise. The software should be flexible enough to work within your established internal systems and should be able to offer 24-hour access from anywhere in the world.
- Features: The features and functionality offered by different EDC systems vary widely. Some may offer basic features such as data collection, validation checks and reporting capabilities while others may provide more advanced features such as document management tools or integration with other systems such as Clinical Trial Management Systems (CTMS) or Electronic Patient Reported Outcomes (ePRO). When it comes to validating electronic signatures, the EDC should follow Title 21 CRF Part 11 and Annex 11, to ensure it is FDA and EMA compliant. The functionality for accessing and creating reports for real-time data should be easy to use and should offer outputs in multiple file formats.
- Cost: Cost is always a key factor in any decision-making process. When selecting an EDC software, consider not just the upfront cost but also the long-term costs associated with implementation, maintenance, training, upgrades, etc. Different software have different pricing models including licensing, subscription, or pay as you go. Also think about whether or not additional hardware or licensing fees will be required before you can use the software. This will be a more holistic view of total costs over time.
- Scalability: Depending on your organization’s needs, you may want a system that can grow with your business over time—one that can easily adapt as new technologies become available or as additional users need access. Look for a system that offers built-in scalability and customization options so you can adjust settings as needed down the line.
Choosing an EDC software solution can seem overwhelming at first due to all the options available on the market today. However, by evaluating each stakeholder’s needs and considering key factors such as ease of use, data hosting location, available features, cost effectiveness and scalability, you can find a solution that best fits your company’s specific requirements. EvidentIQ’s EDC solutions are tailored to meet the unique needs of their customers and they offer End-to-End services that are simple and easy to use. Their EDC solutions enable quick and easy study set-up and offer the flexibility to host data in the cloud or on-premise. It comes with optional features such as image-based data entry, eConsent, ePRO/eDiaries, Randomization and Trial Supply Management (RTSM) modules, and advanced data extraction and is easily customizable for any type of study. EvidentIQ works closely with project teams to develop specifications to ensure the EDC capture, collection and reporting are correct for the project requirements. With an adjustable pricing model, EvidentIQ’s EDC can be used to run one study or can scale to meet your future needs.
Take a look at our EDC offer. or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.